The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the reinstatement of funding for 13 national health regulators that were defunded.
The decision was announced by the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof Ali Pate, after the first meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for the year, held on Wednesday in Abuja.
The 13 agencies under the Federal Ministry of Health that will benefit from the restored funding are responsible for regulating various aspects of the health sector.
• The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria
• Pharmaceutical Council of Nigeria
• Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria
• Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria.
• Radiographers Registration Board of Nigeria
• Institute of Public Analysis of Nigeria
• Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria
• Health Records Registration Board of Nigeria
• Community Health Practitioners Registration Board of Nigeria
• Medical Rehab Therapists Registration Board
• Dental Technologists Registration Board of Nigeria
• Optometry and Dispensing Opticians Registration Board of Nigeria
• Dental Therapists Registration Board of Nigeria
According to Dr. Pate, the move is expected to strengthen the capacity and performance of the health regulators, as well as enhance transparency and accountability in the utilization of government resources.
He added that the funding will also support the implementation of the revised National Health Promotion Policy (NHPP) for 2020-24, which aims to reduce the burden of diseases and achieve universal health coverage and other health-related sustainable development goals.
The health minister also disclosed that the FEC discussed other issues affecting the health sector, such as the correct pricing of syringes and other medical consumables, the recruitment and retention of health workers, and the promotion of local production of health items.
He said that a committee has been set up to examine the policies and challenges hindering the domestic manufacturing of medical equipment and supplies, and to propose solutions to boost the industry and ensure accessibility and affordability for the citizens.