Final moments of late Lagos monarch, Oba Agbabiaka

The death of the popular Lagos Monarch and Secretary of the Lagos State Council of Obas and Chiefs, the Osolo of Isolo land, His Royal Majesty (HRM) Oba Kabiru Agbabiaka, was sudden and unexpected due to the fact that he never showed any sign not until nine days to his demise.

As a normal practice, Oba Agbabiaka had Iftar (breaking of fast) with his chiefs, close friends and associates in his palace. Thereafter, he reportedly said his prayers and later rejoined his friends for the normal conversations and banters till around 11 p.m. days ago when he was said to have retired to bed.

It was gathered that some of his chiefs escorted him to his inner chambers before bidding him goodbye.

His busy schedule during the day demands he should have a well-deserve night rest. According to reliable sources, one  of his wives, Olori Khadijat left a stern instruction to palace aides not to disturb the monarch from his sleep. 

Insiders within the palace who do not want their names mentioned, recounted the final moments of the Isolo monarch. They disclosed that a loud scream from the Oba’s inner chambers suddenly shattered the peace within the palace a few hours after midnight when many were asleep.

“There was serious commotion in the palace as Kabiyesi was shouting and screaming at the top of his voice and muttering “My head! my head!!, my head!!!.

“He was clutching his head even as his screams woke up many of us within the palace. We all rushed to his inner chamber to know what had happened.

“There and then, we knew something bad had happened because he was still clutching his head. He was sweating profusely and looked so pale and weak.

“We were confused and dejected because he was not responding to antidotes that were administered on him to subside the headache. He was breathing heavily and caught a pitiable sight even as he continued muttering inaudibly. Then it was decided he should be taken to a private hospital around Aswani where his condition worsened because he had lost consciousness. After two days without improvement on his condition, the doctor advised he should be refered to LASUTH for proper intervention,” the sources said.

At LASUTH, the embattled monarch was said to have been given prompt attention following the directive of Gov. Babajide Olusola Sanwoolu who was said to have directed the hospital management to muster all resources to save the monarch’s life.

It was gathered that he was placed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after falling into coma. 

“He was in coma for about nine days before he eventually gave up the ghost. He was not battling any terminal disease and the sickness came rather too sudden.” 

The sources said doctors at LASUTH did not discuss his case with anyone except his wife and junior brother.

They further disclosed that Cerebral  Stroke was listed as the cause of death in the Death Certificate issued by the hospital management.

Medical findings revealed Cerebral Stroke happen when a blood clot block the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain. The blood clots typically form in area where the arteries has been narrowed or blood over time by fatty deposits. 

WesternPost had reported that Oba Agbabiaka died on Wednesday, the celebration day of Eid-el-Fitr, at the Lagos State University Hospital (LASUTH).

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and President Bola Tinubu in a seperate statements issued by their Special Advisers on Media and Publicity mourned the late monarch.

Back to top button