No amount of attack will stop our ward tour- Lagos PDP guber candidate
…accuses APC of twisting the facts
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos State, Olajide Adediran (Jandor) has said that no amount of attack by the All Progressives Congress (APC) would stop his tour to all political wards in the state.
Adediran said the APC intentionally twisted the facts on Surulere attack to paint him black, adding that there had been constant attack on his team by the agents of the APC since the commencement of his ward tour.
Narrating his ordeal at a world press conference held in Ikeja on Sunday, Adediran said the whole thing started when outdoor advertising agencies commissioned to produce billboards for his campaign returned money paid to them and his posters destroyed in strategy areas of the state.
“This whole thing started when the advertising agencies we commissioned to produce billboards for our campaign returned our money, claiming there was instruction from the State government not to render service to us. I took this issue to the court of public opinion by going to the media to let the world know what the State government did,” he said.
Speaking further, the PDP candidate noted that he started his campaign tour on October 19, 2022, adding that 192 wards have been visited so far, but that his team has suffered several attacks from the agents of the APC.
“We started with Alimosho area before moving to Badagry. We visited the riverine areas in Badagry on the first day of the visit, but on the second day, when we visited the other side, we were attacked by the hoodlums of the APC.
“We thought the Governor, who is the Chief Security Officer of the state, would address the matter, but he did not. He rather played politics with our lives.
“Similarly during our visit to Agege area on January 21, 2023, our team was attacked. We reported the matter to the police. This also happened in Kosofe area of the state few days ago.
“What they do is to tell the people that wanted to receive us not to do so. They attacked our Deputy Governorship Candidate, Ms. Funke Akindele, when she went to the Fruits Market in Kosofe on our first day there.
“On the second day, Wednesday January 25, they attacked us in Oworonsoki area. I called the state Commissioner of Police and told him that I would go in no matter what happened. Many of our people were wounded in the process.
“We went to Surulere the next day, but I was called by 2am before we visited that thugs were already around. We still went there and on Friday, as I was praying in the mosque, being Jumat, they were calling my name that they wanted to attack me and some of my people were wounded in the process.
“Our campaign vehicles were destroyed and they also destroyed our officeQ there. But the APC members are turning and twisting it that they were attacked by our people. We will continue to go ahead with our campaign despite what they are doing.
” What they don’t know is that the campaign is beyond me. It is the people of Lagos State that wanted a breadth of fresh air which i am prepared to give them,” Adediran added.
He, however, thanked the state Police Commissioner, Mr Abiodun Alabi who he said had always been responding to his complaints, and that he always inform the police about his itinerary.
Adediran called on President Muhammadu Buhari, the Inspector General of the Nigeria Police and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to intervene in the attacks, adding that it was his constitutional right to campaign to Lagosians in the state.